Dear Boathouse Row Presidents,
Only 4 more days until the Head of the Schuylkill, Philadelphia’s largest regatta!
The Board of Directors and Regatta Organizing committee want to thank you for your overwhelming support and enthusiasm on and off the water. As you all know, more than 350 volunteers run the HOSR and many of you and your club members are part of our volunteer corps that now spans the greater rowing community.
Please remind your membership that the river traffic pattern changes on Friday, October 28, at 5:00am. Out of town teams will be launching from the Three Angels Docks from noon-5:30pm on Friday for practice. There is no practice on Saturday following the end of racing. We also ask you to remind your members to launch no earlier than 45 minutes prior to the start of their races.
This year we expect 8500+ competitors in 1930 boats. It’s a record! Obviously that means the ‘row’ will be busy with competitors and visitors from across the country and around the world. We thank you for welcoming them and for any inconvenience caused by cars, boats, trucks, trailers, golf carts, bikes …and, yes, people!! We always enjoy the atmosphere on Boathouse Row the weekend of the HOSR… so thank you for your part in making the regatta experience so special!
Once again, Boathouse Sports is our Official Volunteer Outfitter. We know you will love the custom designed vests our volunteers will wear during the weekend…and long after the regatta. Please join us in thanking…and supporting John Strotbeck.
Again this year we have some very exciting new initiatives:
- For the first time in our history, we have a Mayors Cup to honor Mayor Kenney and future mayors of Philadelphia. City Hall has focused their attention on youth, the rowing community and the river and the Mayors Cup is a great way to say thanks.
- A race has been dedicated in memory of former police commissioner, John Timoney. Some of your masters men (50-59) may be participating in this event.
- We welcome a new timing company, HereNow to the Schuylkill River. They are the official timers for US Rowing and will deliver timely and accurate results.
- Eric Eckstein has created an HOSR Mapping App that will help athletes and spectators find trailers, tents, and HOSR services and hotspots. Check it out!
- The Philadelphia Water Department is again providing 15,000 reusable water bottles for our competitors and spectators. The HOSR committee chairs leading this effort will deliver water bottles to your doorstep later this week. Please see that your members take one, label with their name, and join us in discouraging throwaway bottles that harm the Schuylkill River and wildlife.
- The races will be live streamed again this year. Go to www.hosr.org.
- The Festival Tent at Three Angels will be bursting with activity – vendors, traditional and new, that want to share their goods and message with you! Food, music awards, live streaming tv, results kiosks, Olympians, Dotty Brown, and more…
So, thank you for your part in the success of the HOSR. We hope you have a wonderful weekend! If you’re rowing, we wish you a fair and safe race!! Please look for last minute updates on our website; www.hosr.org, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram. We encourage you to post your highlights and tag the HOSR (#HOSR16). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.